Wednesday, March 4, 2009

What to Eat Wednesday



Todays what to eat is a request from a few friends-
I originally found this when I was looking for something different for make ahead breakfasts. I asked my Mom if she had anything. She found it in her folder of recipes.
I like how it has a little bit of spice to it- nothing too hot though.

Breakfast Casserole

Breakfast Casserole
1 box (6 ounces or so) seasoned croutons (I have also used large bread crumbs and it works just as well)
2 pounds mild ground pork sausage, browned and drained
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
1 can (4 ounces) sliced mushrooms (if I have it, I use fresh sliced mushrooms)
1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies (sometimes I add 2 cans- how spicy do you feel?)
2 cups milk
8 eggs beaten
1 can mushroom soup
1 tsp. dry mustard

In a large casserole dish, layer croutons, sausage, cheese, mushrooms and green chilies.
Beat milk & eggs together until frothy. Stir mustard into soup and add to eggs. Pour over casserole, cover and chill several hours or overnight.
Preheat oven to 325- bake uncovered 1 hour.
Serves 10-12.


(this one reminds me of what it would look like if I were to print my photos on newsprint paper- for some reason it came out all pinkish-over-inkish)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This looks so yummy. I've saved it to my recipe folder to try the next time we want breakfast for dinner.

Meghan said...

I have to admit that when I saw the pics of ingredients it looks a little wierd. But if I hadn't tried other things that looked wierd, my recipe repetior would be rather sickly. I can't wait to see what other recipes are ahead.