Wednesday, August 26, 2009

What to Eat Wednesday- Breakfast in Bed

I took the kids to the library Monday after school. I had a few things that I wanted to check on myself so while the kids were browsing I took my own sweet time. I asked about some lunch idea books. As I searched for the titles I wanted I happened on some other gems. About Breakfast.

There was no time until the next day to sit down with my heap of books. I opened the most delicious looking one first.
The most-delicious-one in my stack was titled:

"Breakfast in Bed
more than 150 recipes for delicious morning meals."

It hooked me with the first quote, and then captured me with the introduction.

I was instantly in love. With a cookbook. About breakfast.
All the recipes originate from bed-and-breakfasts. I kept gasping and reading them out loud. "Oh! Listen to this" and "Doesn't this sound like the best breakfast ever?" or variations of those phrases were heard over and over. I grabbed the closest bookmarks I could find, a few stray Skip-Bo cards, to mark the recipes I wanted to try. Soon I ran out of cards. I was too lazy to get up, so I reached for the next closest thing, Finding Nemo Crush's Crazy 8's. The book was soon filled with new ideas for breakfast.

I took the book with me to the store to double check a few ingredients off my grocery list. I was standing in line and another mom that I know came up behind me. She had a chuckle over my "placeholders."

This book just seems too good not to share. I think I might have to buy my own copy. (or keep this one and get a new one for the library-seeing as how I already have spilled orange zest all over its beautiful pages!)

So as I make my way through recipe-after-recipe that I have marked, I will highlight them here. A little Julie/Julia Project like, without the swearing and probably a little less entertaining writing.

Today's breakfast was not picked because it looked like it would be a favorite, (although it was one of the first ones I marked) but because I happened to have all the ingredients. Well, almost all of them.



2 cups cottage cheese
3 eggs
2/3 cup sugar
2 tablespoons flour
1 teaspoon grated orange zest
1/4 teaspoon orange extract
9-inch deep-dish pie shell, thawed if frozen

(I did not have any orange extract, and I subbed a little orange juice concentrate for the tablespoon of orange juice)

Pre-heat oven to 350. In a large bowl, beat cottage cheese with an electric mixer on high speed for 1 minute. Add eggs, sugar, flour, orange zest, orange juice and orange extract; blend well. Pour mixture into pie shell and bake for 50 minutes, or until a knife inserted comes out clean. Refrigerate overnight; serve chilled the next morning.
(The Blair House Bed & Breakfast Inn Friday Harbor, Washington)


An interesting thing about cooking blindly from a cook book is that you have no idea what the recipe is really supposed to taste like in the end. And since there were so few photos in the book I really did not know what it was supposed to look like either. It took much longer to cook than 50 minutes, and I found myself impatient- hoping that it would be worth it to stay up so we could eat the pie for breakfast.


I have never had flan. I am wondering if that is what this is like. It was sweet (surprise to anyone?) and I kind of wondered about the choice of feeding it to my kids for breakfast on a school morning. It seems like more of a dessert, or something that you would serve with breakfast. Not as breakfast.


The whole family loved it, no tears from a single person. In fact I was the one who liked it the least! I will make it again, but this recipe would take a back seat to some of our other favorites.
I wonder from a nutrition standpoint how this would rank? What if I made this as a dessert- would it be better nutritionally than some other sweet thing?

4 comments:

vgsmom said...

It kind of looks like quiche but less poofy. I bet my sweet tooth of a family would love it.

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

Hey, this is a good idea, Alisa. I'm excited to see what you cook.

Kristie said...

Hmmm. Wonder if you could sub splenda for the sugar, if that would make it less dessert-ish. I make quiche quite often, but ironically, always serve it for dinner. I should really get up early some morning and make it for breakfast.

Thanks for the suggestion ... I'm looking forward to more of your breakfast project. Maybe you'll inspire me and we'll break out of our chocolate chip pancake and smoothie rut! :)

Jennifer said...

That sounds fabulous!!! Love your blog, just came across it! :)