
Our family has deemed this one a keeper. Now pay attention. If you are used to eating the kind of oatmeal that you take out of a packet and put in the microwave- this will taste different. But please try it. Our family has had this 3 times since last Monday when I checked out the cookbook. I love all the fruit in this. I don't taste the bananas at all. I think they just blend in with the milk and oatmeal giving it added creaminess. The nectarine and apple are just the right amount of sweetness. I think that it could use a few more raisins. Now after making it three times, I don't think the family has an overwhelming urge to pour on the brown sugar.
The first go at making this was an early morning. As I measured out the salt, I remember thinking, "Hmmm -this sure seems like a lot of salt." I forged ahead, measuring everything else and chopping and slowly cooking. I went to serve it and tasted it before everyone else. I put the bowls on the table, then immediately turned around to grab the brown sugar. Oh. My. Salt! Jay took a bite and said, "Hmm it tastes kind of like pie crust. Kind of good, but kind of salty." I took another look at the recipe to double check that salt. I didn't just double the salt. I tripled the salt! Not sure why I read it wrong. I added a titch of brown sugar to every ones bowls to counteract the salt lick I had just given them for breakfast. Jay mentioned, "So any heart healthy benefits this oatmeal had, have just been negated by all the sodium you gave us."
So a second time I went after it. I read, double checked and cooked the oatmeal. Good but still a little too salty.
So yesterday- I gave it another go. This time I decreased the salt by 1/4 tsp, making it 1/8 of a teaspoon. Ahhh just right. Adjust accordingly to your likeness.


Rise and Shine Oatmeal
2 cups old-fashioned oats

4 cups milk

1/4 teaspoon salt

1 fresh ripe nectarine, peeled and chopped

1 apple, peeled and chopped

1 banana, peeled and chopped

1/4 cup raisins

In a large saucepan, combine oats, milk, salt, nectarine, apple, banana, and raisins; let soak for several minutes. Simmer slowly over low heat, stirring frequently. Cook until mixture becomes thickened, about 10 minutes. Serve warm in individual bowls.

You lost me with the hot mushy fruit. Maybe some day I'll grow up.
ReplyDeleteI have never eaten a bowl of oatmeal that I liked. Luckily my kids really like it. I was telling them about this recipe during dinner and everyone was all smiles. We have been on a cold cereal diet all summer. They are sick of it. Fuller has started making his own scrambled eggs in the morning. Poor kids. I promised that next week when we start school I will make them good breakfasts again. I am relying on you to keep posting the best of the best.
ReplyDeleteI love oatmeal, so that looks really good to me. It also looks like a lot of work compared to the paper packets I rip open and nuke. :)
ReplyDeleteI wish you were MY mom.
that looks really good but I'd have to skip the bananas. I echo Kristie's thoughts. I wish you were my mom.
ReplyDelete