Wednesday, February 16, 2011

what to eat- Valentines treats & Banana Cake Trifle


We made many valentines treats last week.

Peppermint Popcorn: popped popcorn drizzled with melted almond bark (or white chocolate) and mixed with crushed up candy canes.



It was eaten by the handful/bowlful.



Peppermint hugs: Candy Cane Hershey kiss, melted on top of pretzels (my favorite's the "grid" pretzel) topped with an m&m.




But my most favorite treat of all was thrown together last minute. I needed an after Valentines dinner dessert. I surveyed what we had on hand. Strawberries, vanilla pudding, heavy cream that could be whipped. I thought a trifle sounded great. I didn't have any cake, or brownies so I figured I would have to make some a little later.
That is until my Mom stopped by. She brought me the rest of a dessert I had left at her house.
Banana cake. It was perfect timing!
I figured I would just sub out the banana cake for the regular cake.

So glad I did!

It was the most delicious thrown together thing I have made. Several times Jay has asked me if I will be able to remember how I made it. It was perfect.

Last week I had been given many brown bananas. So many I lost count. I shared with friends and put some in the freezer. I had given a bunch to my friend Kim, and she mentioned a banana cake recipe that she had enjoyed way more than bread. I thought I would give it a try. She mailed it to me and I scrawled it out on a piece of paper really quick.



I threw it together and took it to my moms that night. We sampled it and I agreed that I liked it better than bread. I was a little disappointed the next morning when I realized I had left the cake at my mom's. I was kind of thinking it would have been great with breakfast!
Thankfully I had left it. This was such a wonderful combination.

Banana Cake, vanilla pudding, sliced strawberries, whipped cream with vanilla only, (no sugar added). Then repeat the layers.




Banana Cake

2 cups flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda

1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup shortening
1/3 cup buttermilk or sour milk
2 medium ripe bananas, smashed
2 eggs
1/2 cup chopped nuts (optional)

Mix everything together. Beat 3 minutes at medium speed. Pour into 9x13 pan Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

No comments: