Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Breakfast in Bed #10 French Breakfast Puffs


The first weekend of every April and October our church has a Conference that is broadcast from Salt Lake City to all of its members throughout the world. I look forward to these two weekends!
We sit together as a family and listen/watch together. While I don't hear every word (we had to stop the talk that was specifically instructing on parenting to, well, be parents!) it is the overall feeling that I love.

When we woke up conference weekend I decided we needed a little something extra that morning. As children woke up and came in for a snuggle, I tried to slip out of the room. Luke looked at me wondering where I was going, and I whispered, "I think I am going to go make something different to go with our eggs." His eyes widened, "Can I help?"

Off to the kitchen to try something new. I was curious to find out how this next recipe from Breakfast in Bed would be.



These were the best thing I think I have ever made. If there is only one thing you take from my blog, take this recipe. They are little bites of french heaven.



Have someone help you. Not because you will need help. They are so very simple to make. The fact that Luke helped me make these, and that he is not too far off from making these by himself puts a smile on my face. I know what I am requesting for my birthday breakfast!

French Breakfast Puffs
makes 15 puffs, or 30 mini puffs

1/2 cup shortening
1/ cup sugar
1 egg
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/ teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted
cinnamon sugar( 1.2 cup sugar mixed with 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon)

Preheat oven to 350. In a large bowl, cream shortening, sugar and egg. In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt, and nutmeg. Add flour mixture to creamed mixture alternately with milk. Fill greased muffin tins two-thirds full. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until puffs are golden brown. Remove puffs from oven and immediately roll in butter and then in cinnamon sugar.
Note: I used mini muffin tins- I loved the bite size goodness of them!



I had Jay drop two off to my Mom while he was running a few errands before conference. She called to ask where I bought them. She was certain that she had misunderstood Jay when he said that I had made them that morning. They were too much like a delicious donut hole but not fried. Oh I can't wait for you to try them out yourself!

4 comments:

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

"we had to stop the talk that was specifically instructing on parenting to, well, be parents!" This sentence made me laugh. It's so true.

Thanks for the hearty recommendation. I'm excited to try them.

Meghan said...

The Pioneer Woman has a similar recipe in her book. I have always wanted to try it. Now I want to try this one. Maybe tomorrow. How do you think it would work with butter flovored shortning? (since that is what I have)

Alisa said...

The recipe actually calls for shortening for the puff ... but for the topping I think you should use butter. I don't know about rolling it in shortening with the cinnamon and sugar. But hey- try it out and let me know!

Meghan said...

Oh right. I was talking about for the puff. I definitely have real butter, lots of real butter, just no 'real' shortening, only butter flavored. I almost made them this morning. I even set my alarm to get ready, but I have the cruise coming up next weekend. I am trying to be good.