Tuesday, April 22, 2008

SPT- earth day


"if this is your first earth day spt, do you consider yourself a part of "the green generation?"


I think that we are making strides in our home to be a little better-
I have posted about it here and here.

We have not had recycling here until this year. I have called once or twice a year since we moved into our home asking when we would get recycling for our city.
Now, I know that it was not my phone call that made our city decide to start recycling. BUT I like to think that my phone call along with others made a difference. One little action added with others made a change.




So once we got recycling, then I had to get organized to start doing it.
We have to go drop it off, so designating a spot for it in our garage was the first step.
Finding something to put it in was the next.
This is where I almost stopped, because of perfection.
I wanted to find "just the right" container- or else I could not do it. Finally I just grabbed an empty storage bin and started using that.

I am glad that I did. It has helped me evaluate what kind of container I want to use to separate all the different kinds of things we have to recycle -paper, glass, plastic aluminum, and tin.
(and I am using what we have instead of buying something new!)
I was really surprised to see how much we throw away- and how much can be recycled.
I would say that is the biggest thing we are doing- A very big step for our family. (for me because I am the one that loads it up and drops it off!)

I am a long way off from being all green-

I use the disposable toilet bowl cleaners.
I use disposable diapers.
I use the dishwasher.
I use ziploc bags. (a lot)
I use a washer and dryer- multiple times in a day more than 1 or 2 days a week.
I have lights on a lot because I need the light.
I decorate for birthdays with crepe paper and balloons.
And I am sure I could come up with many, many, more things that are not "green"-

But I am making small adjustments...Poco a Poco-
A little bit over time will make a difference.

Here are some things that I am doing-(in addition to dropping off the recycling)

I decided to stop using paper towels for cleaning- (this was big-the last roll is stuck behind the washer and dryer and I just did not buy any more)
I have always enjoyed using linen napkins- and now am pulling them out for other times besides just dinner.

Encouraging the kids to reuse paper- like using the backsides of paper for something else this is easier with the younger kids-

Reusing what I can to make something else (in my crafting -this is one of my favorites)

Next up on our "green" list?

continue what we are doing and find solutions for

Water bottles
our multiple lunch box baggies
the never-ending supply of plastic bags from the store.

17 comments:

Unknown said...

i love your spt!! we got our recycling containers at the container store (i think). it was several years ago, and i actually bought them for toy storage!! so glad i'm *reusing* them now.

thanks for listing all the great things you are doing, in addition to naming those that you might want to change. seriously, when i bought the green shopping bags at my grocery a few months ago, i was totally thinking about the earth day spt i wrote last year. sometimes it helps just to start with a list!

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

I like that you listed your good and could be better list, too, Alisa. You're doing some incredible things. If you're reusing your ziplocs at all...well, I say that should go on your good list!

Anonymous said...

I'm feeling really guilty about my being somewhat lazy when it comes to thinking green. It's just not a habit for me yet. YET! Reading all the different SPT's today is slowly sprouting seeds of desire in my heart. (Little Alma reference, there.) I loved all your green ideas...especially your recycled can/gift container. Very creative! Happy Earth Day!

Rebecca said...

As far as the bags from the store...I have almost stopped using them! I bought a few reusable fabric bags at Walmart (they are the biggest I've seen around town) for $1 a piece and I just take them with me in the car. I also keep a few paper bags or plastic bags from my usual grocery store and just grab them on my way in...that is, if I can remember!! : ) I was at Albertson's last night and was surprised and delighted to hear that they give a "bag credit"--5 cents for every bag you bring yourself! Also, the cover of Newsweek last week had directions on the inside from Target. I taped it up into an envelope (it had free postage on it) stuff it with a few Target plastic bags and they will mail me a Retote bag!! Yay!
I just love that all this attention has turned to being green! We need to take better care of the resources we have!!

Sarah said...

Cutting down on paper towels for cleaning would be big for me. Congratulations that you made that step. Ziploc baggies are hard to give up. Especially when you are fixing lunches. Thanks for posting your list. I really got some great ideas from it.

Kim Allsup said...

Hey great post! I wish our city would come and pick it up but we can't have it all......

Holly said...

WOWza! Your SPT was loaded with great ideas--and things you are already doing. You reminded me of some things I could do better with too.
Funny about looking for the *perfect* recycle container, then using something you already had. That sounds like me.

We need to switch to cloth napkins--they are so much nicer.

Laurie said...

I've heard that the dishwasher uses less water than handwashing! So....

It is surprising, when you really think about it, how much of what we throw away can be recycled.

I love lists, so I'm loving this post!

Bren's Life said...

Oh my Goodness, your can is the cutest thing ever. I love it! How did you put the dots on it? I am not crafty.
I don't know how well I'd recycle if I had to drive to all of it in my car..
Way to go!

Barb said...

Now you should start phoning your city for curbside recycling pick-up! Good for you for schlepping down to the recycling center yourself!

Courtney said...

I am totally impressed with your recycle efforts! Wow...you put so many to shame so way to go!

As for my 5 gallon jugs. We purchased a water cooler a few years ago from Costco. The 5 gallon containers we actually bought at a grocery store - they were empty and we just filled them up at the grocery. There are tons of water stores around where I live who also sell the jugs and I have seen at the grocery down the street a company that will sell you the jug filled with filtered water and then you can exchange an empty for a filled one. This totally cut out the water bottles around our house!

Anonymous said...

Alisa, it sounds like you and your family are taking big steps and making a hugh effort to help save our earth...way more effort than I'm putting forth I'm ashamed to say!

Hopefully next year I'll have a better report from my household. We did get curbside recycling in our city but it made me mad that WE have to pay monthly for it so I didn't take advantage of it. I think I need to "rethink" that one!

I'm using the great SPT logo...

Dacia said...

Wow, looks like you're doing a lot. We just barely got recycling bins this year too. I think it's great that you teach your kids to reuse things. I also especially love the crafts!

michelle said...

This is a great post -- I should have made a list of what I can improve on as well. I wish I had a good solution for all the baggies in our school lunches...

Kim Sue said...

You've inspired me to make a list and start to work my way through doable ideas. First thing on the list, reusable water bottles for lunches since I pack a water for my daughter and a water for me everyday.

The Monkeys said...

Way to go, you are awesome! And I think your calls did make the difference in your community! You are truely an example!

Midge said...

You're doing awsome. Maybe I need to start calling my city so they will get their act together.
Oh and I like your glasses, super cute pic.