Tuesday, April 29, 2008

SPT-economic stimulus

Lelly's challenge this week was:

"It has been suggested that, "the rebates could trigger a spending spree. When the money reaches the American people, [they] will use it to boost consumer spending."
Your challenge this week? Find your last receipt from the gas station (or if you are filling up over the weekend, make note of what you spend.) how'd you do? $35.00? $70.00? $100.00+?? What if you could take THAT amount and spend it on something for you?? To make it a little more challenging, let's just say that you can only buy ONE item, and the cost of that ONE item must be within $5.00 of what you spent at the pump."

I thought maybe I might use the 50 or so-
(this is how much it cost us last week before the gas prices jumped up-
and we only had to fill a little over 1/2)
to go shopping at Pottery Barn..
or James Avery...

But what kept coming back to me over and over was to just wait. Hang on to it.
So
I would walk over to the kitchen cabinet, open the door, reach up to the top shelf and pull this out.
Then I would put the money in.

I got this teapot at my bridal shower- 13 years ago.
There was a note with some money saying that every woman should have a place to keep her "pin money"-
So this is where I put unexpected money that comes my way.
Sometimes my kids will put little notes in it.
Or I might find a few dollar bills in there as a surprise.
I even put the money I find while doing the laundry in here.

Right now I have the feeling to just wait until there is something I really want- I am sure that won't take long. And when I come across something I really want- that money will be waiting for me.
In my cute little teapot.

17 comments:

Bren's Life said...

I love your tea pot. It's so cute... I like your thinking... Great SPT...

Unknown said...

i never knew the expressions "pin money" before. what a great idea for a shower gift!
(and for an spt!)

Meghan said...

I have heard twice on the news that the rebate isn't going to do what it is intended to do because if people don't spend it on gas and groceries, they are just going to save it. Interesting that that is exactly what you wanted to do with your extra money, save it.

Courtney said...

put it away for a "rainy day"...great idea and what fun to have your very own little stash!

Michelle Alley said...

What great wedding shower gift - I love it! Let us know hen you find what you're going to spend it on!

Tilane said...

That's the best use for a teapot I've seen! Cute teapot too. What self control you have to not spend!

Anonymous said...

What a great shower gift- I love it!

I am a saver too- there are always things I have my eyes out for and it is nice to have a stash to pull from when I need it.

Anonymous said...

I totally have to steal that idea and give someone a teapot for a wedding shower. I love it! Really cute.

Sarah said...

I don't blame you for saving that money. In reality I would probably do the same thing. That is a really great gift.

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

I think "pin money" is the sweetest label I've ever heard for a stash.

I love the pot. That is really, really cute.

Katie A. said...

Very cute pot. I still use the piggy bank I've had since I was little. Good idea to save the money until you think of something you really want...hopefully gas prices won't go any higher, or I may have to break open the piggy bank just to drive to work!

Anonymous said...

That is an awesome idea, a teapot with some pin money in it! I love it!

Dacia said...

Love the teapot idea. I don't have the self discipline to ever have one, but it sure is cute!

Hilary said...

that is so cute! Love your story and what a fun idea for a shower gift (though it sounds cuter to come from an older lady!)

Anonymous said...

That tea pot is much cuter than the frosting jar I use. Now I have to go shopping for a cute container for my "pin money". We are totally planning on saving our $ except I would like to build up our food storage a bit. loveyoubye
hillary smith

PS happy almost b'day

The Monkeys said...

What a cute wedding shower gift! I may steal it! I think you are so right- best wait and save till you find exactly what you want.

Windy said...

What a fabulous idea! We never use cash, so every paycheck I tuck aside $8 in my "check book" on Quicken. It adds up - and then I don't have to feel guilty when I want to splurge on something - like a good haircut at a nice salon!