Wednesday, April 2, 2008

what NOT to eat

Yesterday was April Fools Day - and I thought it would be fun to do a little mix up at dinner. I don't like pranks that are mean, or that scare people. I don't like things that are hurtful, or embarrass people. So I thought I picked something safe.

Grilled cheese and cupcakes-



BUT the trick is that the grilled cheese is really sweet bread with icing instead of cheese-
and the cupcakes are really meatloaf with colored mashed potatoes on top.


I thought for sure somebody would catch on as I was making them- I asked Jay what color of cupcakes I should make, he suggested pink.

The reactions were varied,
Savanna hurt her knee and is icing it in the chair during dinner

but Jay and Jack were disappointed. Very disappointed. They both had there hearts set on grilled cheese!

I think I know what to serve them in the future.

On Tuesday's we eat in shifts, and Jack was the last one to eat. After the shock, and the little bit of laughs, he asked for his real grilled cheese- and that is when the major disappointment set in. I had no idea this would not go over well or I would not have done it!



By the end of the night all was well ... But I will rethink next years little joke!

(a real what to eat will appear later today)

3 comments:

Jenn said...

I think you're funny, Mom.

Barb said...

That was funny and cute. In our house the tricks are played on the mom not by the mom!

Lynne's Somewhat Invented Life said...

You are hilarious. Hillary said to come to your blog and see how darn creative you are. The food looked delicious--for cupcakes and grilled cheese but I'd have loved to tasted it all.