Tuesday, May 6, 2008

SPT- something old


she photographs on tuesday


This month Lelly suggested:

tuesday, may 6 something old
tuesday, may 13 something new
tuesday, may 20 something borrowed
tuesday, may 27 something blue

take it literally, take it figuratively, but by all means, make a commitment to complete all four challenges for the month of may!

may 6 something old-

I love old things. And I have been wanting to document my love for these things that I have collected over time:
my great grandmothers rocking chair
my growing rolling pin collection
my great grandmothers cutting board, with her cornbread recipe written on it
the old door
the old windows
my grandfathers pocket watch
the old clocks
the old dresser
the big wooden box

I have stories in my head written about them.
And I think I will write them.
Just not today.
I am bugged over my "lost" old item.

About 2 weeks ago I was driving around my neighborhood and out with someones trash by the curb were 2 really old shutters. And they were big. And old.
Perfect for me.
Perfect for me to find something to do with them.
I loaded them on top of the van and slowly drove home.
By the time I hit my drive way I knew what I wanted to do with them.
I was going to make them into a headboard for our queen size bed. (they were that big)
They were pretty dirty so I unloaded them on the side of our house.
This is the side of the house where we also keep our trash.
BIG MISTAKE!
I called and told Jay- he was excited. (well as excited as a man who can feel a project in his future!)
It was a day or 2 later and Jay asked where the shutters were.
I went out and they were gone!
argggg!
I am going to think that it was our super helpful trash men- they sometimes come up to the side of the house when we forget to take out our trash, and they pull it down for us.
I have to think it was them-
I can't stand to think otherwise.
me on the bed without a cute old shutter headboard

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh bummer! that would have been fun to see the results -- a shutter head-board. sounds to me, tho, that you may have some brilliant ideas about my "something old" and what to do with it.

Meghan said...

Rats!! That sounded so cute.

Laurie said...

What a disappointment!

You really should do a post on all your old sentimental things. This SPT challenge has got me all sentimental too. I love things that have meaning and memories and have been passed along. (still working on my post though)

Sarah said...

Very, very frustrating. I am amazed that your garbage men would actually come to the side of your house. Our garbage men sometimes don't even bother to put our trash cans upright after they dump them. Often we find them tossed on the street. I would have loved to see your headboard.

janna said...

Oh darn it! That is a cute idea though.

me said...

How frustrating! I hope that you come accross something else soon!

Lacie said...

Oh Bummer! That would have been so cute! I was once a "trash digger" too, however now that I live way out in the country...I'm not the trash digger-the animals are!

I got a sideboard that way! I still have it!-

Courtney said...

Oh Alisa...what a major bummer! You are so creative with your ideas and they would have been most beautiful for sure...dang it!

Kim Allsup said...

((((GRRRR)))) I would have loved to see the finished project!

Unknown said...

an outrage!! i am so sad for the "headboard that wasn't." it's a cute photo of you, though! (despite the frustration...)

Warren said...

sorry about the shutters!

Finally posted about the saving buildings thing...

Bren's Life said...

That is just so sad.. I hope they show up somewhere, or better yet you find something even better for a head board..
I love all treasures you have from family, that's so awesome!

Dacia said...

What a bummer about those shutters! It sounded like such a good idea. Don't you just hate it when you have something creative in mind and it doesn't work out.

Chris said...

So sad! Helpful, yet not. Sounds like they would have been perfect. My DH is the dumpster diver as we call it. You can find some great things sometimes.

Anonymous said...

Cute picture- despite the circumstances...how sad to have something so fantastic end up in a landfill! I hope you find something more wonderful soon!

Tilane said...

Helpful garbage men not so helpful. That's too bad. But I can picture that headboard behind you.

Jeanette said...

A lucky find lost...that's heartbreaking.

Holly said...

That's a shame about your found and lost shutters! Maybe you will stumble over another treasure soon--and make sure you store it away from your trash. :)

That's sounds like a truly special cutting board with your Grandma's recipe written on it!