Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Saturday- July 5th

Today I had good parenting moment.
I felt that I had done something right as a parent. That somehow I was "good."
But I did not feel so at the time.
It would not be until later that I would see the benefit of my actions.
We had family pictures this morning with all of Jay's family, and we had 1 child that just would not
cooperate.
And as soon as the photos were over he perked up. (with the help of his Aunt Susan)
It made me so angry.
I wanted to give the boy a quick swift swat, and tell him to straighten up.
All I did was say I was disappointed and that he did not get his gum that was for after the photos.
You know you go through so much work to get a family photo.

So we were driving around this afternoon and all of a sudden he says from the back of the van,
"Mom, I am sorry that I was not good when we were taking the family pictures."
Wow, he apologized on his own. He felt sorry for something that he had done.
And he did not do it out of fear.
More than anything that is what I want our children to do.
To obey out of love, and desire to do what is right.
Not out of fear, or just trying to please.

5 comments:

Rachael said...

There are too many days that go by where I feel like a failure as a parent!
It is nice when your kids actually LISTEN and you can see a glimmer of hope between all the crying and whining!

jarrleckie said...

What a reward! Glad you are back!

April said...

What a good moment. I am glad that you are back and hope that you had a good weekend.
It always takes SO much work to go on vacation. I sometimes just want to get up and go, but with 4 kids that just isn't my reality. :)
(I'm glad you are enjoying all the deals! Hopefully, I'll find some more for you soon.)

Meghan said...

Way to go Mom!!

Kim Sue said...

"without fear"....I love it!