Sunday, July 20, 2008

why I blog

I often wonder what I would have to read if I had been a part of the blogging world when our oldest two were little. I do have some scrapbook pages of the cute things that occurred on a daily basis, but honestly I think I have more photos now of the kids doing things than I took then.

I wonder about what I would read about Savanna and Jack- right now a lot of my writing stems from things that Luke or Tucker has done. They occupy so much of my day-
I wonder if I would be able to look back and compare the behavior between the children- and laugh.

I do have paper journal entries, of when they were little but they are few and far between.
Something about having the computer to type it up. I have several posts in the works but not posted. They have stories written to share with my family. I have posts started with just an idea to jog my memory.
I easily can load the photos I have with the stories. It is not the hands on creative process like scrapbooking, but it certainly is documenting my life.

I started blogging to get things about my life written down.
I wanted to write my stories. I wanted to be a better story teller.
I wanted to also be able to share thoughts and feelings with others.
I wanted my family and extended family to be able to just check in and see what our family was up to.
I wanted to be able to share with all of my friends who I do not live close to anymore.
I wanted to write. I wanted to share my beliefs.

So I started blogging. Slowly at first. Sporadic. And over the last 1 1/2 years I have increased.
Really mostly this last year.
I am grateful for the things I have typed and posted.
My emotions and feelings.
Our trips this summer.

A funny thing happened though. We added google analytics for my blog.
It tracks what states/countries people are coming from.
How often they come, what city they live in, the referring site.
How long they stay on my blog, what pages they look at.
It was fun to look and see how many people had read my blog.
But then I started to compare the numbers.
I would look at the comments and compare how many people had actually read my blog.
The numbers did not match up.
Not even close.

I started to feel insecure about my blog.
Why were so many people reading but not commenting.
Did people not have anything good to say?

And then I started thinking about my own blogging habits.
There is no way for me to comment on every single post I read.
I use Google Reader to help me keep track of all the blogs I frequent.
There is absolutley no way I can comment on every single blog, and still read.
And keep up with my life.
And still blog my own story.

I try and comment on my friends blogs.
When I read a blog post that inspires, or touches me, or makes me think, I try and leave a comment. Sometimes I will go back days, or weeks later after I have thought about what someone has written and tell them that they have touched me in someway.
But for the most part I don't comment on every post I read. Do others think the same thing?
Do they wonder why they are getting hits from my part of the world, but no comment.

Then I started thinking again about why I started blogging.
Was it to make more friends?
Was it to keep myself busy?
Was it to add one more thing to my already overwhelming life?
Was it to get commentary from others?

No to all the above, although I can say it has added all of the above to my life.
The primary reason I started blogging was for me.
To write my story, with my family.
To share what I have. Without any hope of anything in return.

So there you go- all you blog readers. I forgive you for not commening.
You are off the hook- I will not obsess about why you are not commenting.
(can you hear me laughing light-heartedly at that?)
I have had my mental meeting with myself and I am fine to just keep writing.

I will tell my story.

6 comments:

Jenn said...

...and I am glad you do - connections are a blessing....

Kim Sue said...

I got off track a little just like you wrote about but then I started working on blurb to try and publish my blog in a book for us to have. It is taking some time but I am excited about the possibility of the end product. I am not including comments in the book so with each page I work on I get to reflect on those memories and look back on our lives. That has made me rethink blogging and stay on track with the main reason I wanted to blog to begin with. I love all the connections I have made through blogging but I also have to stay true to my thoughts and memories. And boy do I wish I had been blogging for the past 8 years rather than just 1 1/2.

The Mrs. said...

I love reading your blog and I am so glad that you have forgiven me for not commenting!

Jay Spear said...

Just wanted you to know I read your post. And I love you! And I love the history we are making together.

Anonymous said...

First of all, how did you get up at 6:32? Just to blog?
Remember me asking you this last year why you blog? I couldn't understand. To me it sounded like leaving your journal out for anyone to read. This whole concept was so strange to me. Now I read yours and have to laugh because we talk and or see each other every day and here you have all these thoughts and friends that I didn't even know about. Now I'm asking you who these people are that comment. Is Jennifer H. Jameys wife or is Kim the same one that I like so well? What about Allison?
How have all of these people found my little girl? So now I've started
looking at their blogs. I feel a little protective. So many women I have no idea who they are but I get very interested in their thoughts and ideas. So I go into other blogs that blog them. This is really no place for OCD'ers. Too many ideas that are just around the next blog. Too many people to keep track of. What if the next blog would have been the very one with the idea for curtains that I need. And I just stopped short of finding them? Thank you for continuing to broaden my horizons!!!

Hilary said...

love your thoughts!