Wednesday, July 16, 2008

What to eat Wednesday- Pepper Pita Pizzas

I could not believe that I hadn't done this recipe yet. I went back through all my what to eats to double check, and I did not see it. So if its a repeat- its because its so good! We make it all the time!

This is another one from my friend Donna- (who has also given me the recipes for this, and this)

Pepper Pita Pizzas

1 teaspoon olive oil
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
1 medium red bell pepper, cut in thin strips
1 medium green bell pepper, cut in thin strips
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoons dried basil, or 2 Tablespoons dried basil
1 teaspoon dried oregano,or 1 Tablespoon dried oregano
2 plum tomatoes, coarsely chopped (I just use a little carton of the tiny tomatoes and cut them all up)
4 pita breads (actually- I just use enough pitas to feed whoever is eating dinner, plus a few extras)
1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Monterrey Jack cheese

Preheat oven to 425-Heat olive oil in medium nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Add onion, peppers, garlic, basil and oregano. Partially cover and cook 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally. Add tomatoes. Partially cover and cook 3 minutes.
Place pita breads on baking sheet. Divide tomato mixture evenly among pita breads. Top each pita bread with ¼ cup cheese. Bake 5 minutes or until cheese is all melted.

5 comments:

Brooke said...

You gave me this recipe and we still make it a lot! We've converted it into another that we call Pepper Pasta (it's pretty complicated...you 86 the pita and add pasta, lol). I still have the recipe card that you wrote for me!

Meghan said...

Hey, is that an iphone? Drool.

Alisa said...

no no- its not an iphone but its sister the ipod Touch - everything but the phone- (and the high at&t contract)
it was Jay's turn to add something to the what to eat ingredient photo and he could not resist adding his latest tech toy.

Meghan said...

We just got new cell phones this week after being without for over a year. Jon was willing to get me an iphone, but then I looked at the monthly fee. EEEk! It was so much money, and that really is way to much phone for me. So I ended up with a free phone (I haggled to get the one I wanted free) and the cheapest family plan. I decided I would rather spend that money on something else, like $135 worth of new clothes every month. (though that will never happen, you kow how it is.)

Unknown said...

I haven't made these since we have been back in the U.S. I made them all the time in Scotland because peppers were so cheap. Our weekend guests loved these too, especially with homemade ranch flown all the way in from Okc by YOU! They hadn't tried ranch before.Another tasty treat from your kitchen. Thanks!