Sunday, December 28, 2008

Speaking in church

Today our whole family will be speaking in church.
Yes our whole family.

The 5 year old. The 9 year old. The 11 year old. The mom and the dad. I am sure we will even hear from the 2 year old at some point.

Our subject?
The Atonement of Jesus Christ.
A pretty big topic, and emotional one at that.

I am a crier. When I am happy. When I am sad. If I laugh too hard. When I am frustrated.
I love what we are speaking on and when I feel such strong emotions I cry even more.

I love how each child has written their own talks. All we did was ask them questions and write down their answers. They then used that for putting together their talks.

Luke said he wanted to tell the story of how Jesus healed a blind man. So I typed it up as he retold it. I think he has it memorized word for word from his scripture reader.

What I love most is each ones individual understanding of Christ and the Atonement. They are so young, but have a knowledge that I know I did not have at their age. Sometimes I think they "get it" more than I do now.

Maybe later I will post some of their talks with their permission.
As stressful as it is to speak - and to prepare, I am so grateful our family has this opportunity.

3 comments:

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

Good luck, Alisa. I wish I were in your sacrament meeting today.

shara said...

I am sorry I am missing hearing all of you speak. I still remember one of Kayte's earliest talks. It was on Jonah. She told me the story and I wrote it word for word. Then I drew little pictures by the sentences so she could remember what she had said. I will look forward to Kayte and Missy telling me all about it.

Bren's Life said...

I thought about you Sunday & knew it would all be fine. I read your Luke post first, so I know it went great! :)
You are a Amazing mom. To of taught your kids so well & for them to be able to give a talk on the Atonement says so much...
What a great example you are.