Wednesday, February 11, 2009

What to Eat Wednesday

Oh my goodness would you look at the time?! Where did the day go? I promised I would do this for my friend Donna and one of her daughters Abby- They both love coleslaw. I was on the phone with her telling her how delicious it was and she wanted the recipe right then. She told me to do it for my what to eat that day. I already had the the salsa couscous done, and did not have the photos ready for this yet. So I am making good on my promise.

Another side story- I made this and sent an extra portion with Jay. He was to share it with my lovely graphic designer friend who designed my what to eat logos. She never got it. Someone else ate it! And then left the dirty container in the fridge! I guess somebody needed leftover coleslaw more than she did.
On to the rest of the story and the point of posting!

Grandmom's Nine-Day Slaw
My dad put together a cookbook of his favorite recipes- This is his story:
"When I was a boy, my family often ate out on Friday nights. One of my favorite places to go was Herman's Seafood Restaurant, located at NW16th and Classen in Oklahoma City. Complementary with each meal was a plate of coleslaw. The flavor was unlike any slaw I have had before or since."

"One Saturday while visiting with Grandmom and Barbara (his mother and sister) the subject came around to Hermon's. When I mentioned that I had tried on several occasions to duplicate their slaw, Grandmom said she had the recipe. She had gotten it many years ago from a maintenance man at the Oklahoma allergy clinic. Where he got it is anyone's guess. We are unsure of the origin of the name of the recipe, but it [will] keep for many days in the
refrigerator. "






3 pound head of cabbage, chopped
1 large onion, chopped
1 large green pepper, chopped
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup olive oil
3/4 cup vinegar
2 TB sugar
1 TB salt
1 teaspoon celery seed
1 teaspoon dry mustard

Mix the cabbage, onion and green pepper with the 1 cup sugar. Let sit for one full hour.
Bring to boil: oil, vinegar, 2 TB sugar, salt, celery seed and dry mustard. Pour over cabbage mix refrigerate for 4 hours or longer before serving. Mix and serve.




3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow looks yummy and I dont even like coleslaw much...Thanks for sharing...Have a Happy valentines day.

Love, marci

janelle said...

This truly is some awesome slaw ya'll! I am not a fan of "the Slaw" and when I was told by my dad that I had to try it and that i was sure to like it I was more than a lil nervous. Just the thought of the smell,look, and sound of normal slaw while stirring it makes my stomach turn. oh but not this stuff. It is oh so tastey.

Donna Ryan said...

Can't wait to try it. I'm not telling Abby that I have the recipe -- she'll never leave me alone until I make it.