Wednesday, April 29, 2009

What to Eat Wednesday- Avocado Citrus Toss


I participate in a produce co-op every two weeks. We get an amazing amount of fresh fruit, and vegetables for an incredible discount. Part of the fun is you never know what you are going to get. After getting grapefruit on one of our produce pick-ups, my friend Allyson shared this delicious salad with me.

I think I need to come up with a rating system based on how many members of my family liked it. Like how many ate it without crying. (only a 1 tear meal!) Or how many nights we had it for leftovers. (none!) Or a rating noting it was requested to take for lunch the next day.

Avocado Citrus Toss


In a large bowl combine:
6 cups torn salad greens
2 medium grapefruit, peeled and sectioned (or in my case 1 really large grapefruit)
3 naval oranges, peeled and sectioned (or 2 really large oranges)
1 ripe avocado, peeled and cubed
1/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted

Dressing:
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/3 cup sugar
3 TB vinegar
2 tsp. poppy seeds
1/2 tsp. ground mustard
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. onion powder

Whisk dressing together until well mixed. Drizzle over salad.

5 comments:

your mom said...

Your rating system is perfect.
Unfortunately most of the time its ALL EATEN that night and I only hear what a hit it was and don't get to try it. I'm proud of you for being such a good cook and always trying new things...and taking chances.
You really live on the edge putting new things on the table because the kids tell you just what they think!

Anonymous said...

I just found your blog via PW. I have a really random question though. I was actually curious what part of OK you live in. My husband served a mission there. When I saw the pictures of you having the missionaries over, I just had to ask :) Random I know. I'm excited that I found your blog!

Kristie said...

Ooooh, I don't even eat healthy stuff, but that looks yummy to me! :)

Amy said...

Yum! That looks awesome! I'll have to try it.

TheBMillers said...

That looks tasty - I L.O.V.E avacodo so I'm going to have to try it.. I love the rating system too - kind of like at my house.. Dad is the standard cook so when it's my turn look out!! HA

Barbi