Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Ovarian Cancer Walk

I had wanted to make ornaments from Julie's blog for our Red Envelope. The recipe called for applesauce but we did not have any. Thinking of not having applesauce to make the ornaments, made me want to make applesauce. I would make it to eat, not to use for the ornaments. So a few Sunday mornings ago, Jack and Luke helped me make applesauce, and it reminded me of the last time I had made applesauce. It was an early early, morning.


I got up early and made applesauce before meeting my sister and her family downtown for the Ovarian Cancer Walk- I say walk because that is what we did. There were plenty that were running. But our group was walking.

It was so early there was not a single car on the road.


I got there and got my shirt and sticker.

We only did the .5 walk. (no working up a sweat for this memory walk!)

My sister, Jennifer was diagnosed with Ovarian Cancer almost 15 years ago.


She survived. I walked to support her.

I walked to support her husband.


I walked to support her daughter.

There was a time that our family thought she would never be able to marry- or have a child.





I walked with Jennifer and her family.

And a few of Jennifer's friends.

We visited with a lady who was walking with her niece. This woman's sister has ovarian cancer and was too sick to walk herself.


I walked this day not only for my sister, but for women like the lady above. For the family members that ovarian cancer touches.
For my Mom.
For my Dad.
For my sister Janelle.
For my brother Jamey.

When Jennifer found out she had cancer I had just gotten married and moved to Utah.
I can't say I know exactly what all my family went through. I had updates by phone, but I was not there. Each member of my family had their own experience of dealing with cancer. I remember how I felt when I got the call- and I felt so far away. I was far away. But the rest of my family was right in the middle of it.

I walked for Jennifer.
But also for the rest of my family.

2 comments:

Brooke said...

Beautiful post Alisa. Very, very touching.

jennsalyers said...

WOW! I don't think I can put into words how much that means to me. Thank You! I hope we can share this experience together again next year. I Love You!!!!!