Wednesday, December 12, 2007

What to eat Wednesday-Taco Pasta

I crave routine. I need order. And its Wednesday. And I post what to eat on Wednesday.
So I will do it. Maybe it will bring some sense of order to my brain.

I found this somewhere on the internet. I don't know if it was a blog, or Better Homes and Gardens. I had it on my menu plan a few weeks ago, and finally made it one night.
Our whole family loved it. I know I say that when I post these, but really...to get a family of 6 to all eat something is seriously "postworthy!"

It made a lot. I froze a good portion.
Fast forward to day 3 no power.
I cleaned out our fridge yesterday and brought everything to my moms. I pulled this one out.......and what do you know? It freezes great too!

Taco Pasta

8 ounces dried penne
2 pounds uncooked ground chicken
1 cup chopped onion
1 1/2 cups water
1 -1 1/4 ounce packet taco seasoning mix
2- 11 ounce cans whole kernel corn with sweet peppers, drained
2 cups sliced pitted olive
2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
1 cup salsa
2- 4 ounce cans diced green chile peppers
8 cups shredded lettuce
2 medium tomatoes, cut into thin wedges
tortilla chips
sour cream

Cook pasta, drain and set aside.

Meanwhile, in a 12 inch skillet cook ground chicken and onion, half at a time, until meat is brown. Drain fat. Return all of the chicken mixture to skillet. Stir in water and taco seasoning mix. Bring to boiling, reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in cooked pasta, corn, olives, half of the shredded cheese, salsa, and chile peppers.

Transfer mixture to a lightly greased 3-quart rectangular casserole. Bake uncovered in 350 degree oven for 45 minutes or until heated through. Remove from oven. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.

Serve with lettuce, tomato wedges and if desired tortilla chips and sour cream. Makes 12 servings.

(When I thawed it, I just warmed it up on the stove, and served it over lettuce like a taco salad.)

1 comment:

Likely said...

This sounds delicious! I will make it next week.
thanks for de-lurking on my blog. I just wish everyone would do that. I love meeting new people. I think I comment on all the blogs I read. Not every time, but I comment on occasion on all of them. does that make sense? I'm not sure what people are afraid of.

How did you find me anyway?