Sunday, May 11, 2008

Call the Sabbath a delight-even on mothers day!

For most of my married and children portion of my life Sunday was my favorite day of the week.

I loved having a "different" day-
A day to rest-
A day for our family to be together-
A day to attend church together-
A day to recharge-
A day I looked forward to-
A day so different from any other-

But the last few years, I have not had that same feeling.

I can't believe I am going to blog this, but ...
I started dreading Sundays.

I would wake up and dread the day ahead.
I would dread the enduring of church with the kids.
I would dread that the children would be grumpy, hungry, and tired after church because they had missed lunch and naps.
I would dread the thought, that I would not even have the smallest inkling of a chance to have a nap.

I told Jay how much I was starting to dread Sundays. How much I strongly disliked them.
I missed the old Sundays. The way they used to feel. How could I get that back?

We talked about what changes we could make.
And you know what?
The only things I could change were me.
While some of our circumstances affect us, for the most part, its how we react.

I don't have any of this down just yet, but ...

I consider this a blessed day.

I realize that there were optimal circumstances that lead to this, but tonight as I was driving home with a smile on my face, the thought popped into my head ...
"I loved today!"

So grateful to have loved a Sabbath day- and that it was Mother's Day!

It beat the last few mothers days hands down.
(last year, Jay gone all day, 1 very grumpy child, 1 child pooping all over me as we walked into church, a very disappointing meeting with no mention of mothers, no children singing- the year previous- a big miscommunication with my mom, and both of us with sad hurt feelings thinking the other did not want to spend any time together on Mothers day- ...)

I know ... I know... I had a lot of outside circumstances to add to the "love" of today.

Jay was home.

But I still had grumpy kids.
They still did not get lunch.
One was sick.

I felt different though.
I think I can use this to help carry me through the next few sundays.

I can make a few changes in me ...
I can still be happy- even when others around me are not.

I am looking forward to making more delightful Sabbaths-
Anyone else want to join me?

3 comments:

Bren's Life said...

Oh do I ever know what you mean. I also feel the same way & have told my husband so many times, I don't want to come anymore this stinks.. But of course we go & I do my best to get through Sacrament with my kids. I never thought though that I need to change my attitude, I thought it was my oldest needs to change his. Thanks for helping me see clearly.
I am so Glad you had a good day. I am glad you loved the day. Hope you have a Great week. Happy Mother's Day to you

Anonymous said...

Enduring to the end.
It will all be worth it! I promise. I've been there and done that.
To learn the lesson that "it's all up to you", is one of the most valuable lessons in life. It's great to learn it as early in life as you can, so you can enjoy the fruits of it!
I'm so happy for you. There were sure a lot of unhappy posts out there on Mother's day, I wish some of these ladies would read your post. THIS is what blogging is all about!

Midge said...

I think it's awesome that you can admit (complain) that you don't love sunday, which I'm sure alot of women feel. but even more it's great you came to a solution about it. I'm glad you had a good mother's day and keep up with the positive attitude.