Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Sunday July 6-peace & blessings

I wrote this on Sunday in my journal after church- I have been waiting to share a lot of what is here until there were more answers, but now feels like the right time.

We came out to Colorado to be together as a family, the Spear family. Parents, Grandparents, brothers, sisters-in-law, cousins.
We were able to receive such sweet time together, service and to experience a break in time.
A certain blessing for the family.

The day we left California from our adventure 2008, we received a call saying Jay's dad was in the hospital. He had been having seizures and nobody was really sure exactly what was wrong.
His condition worsened over a few short days.
Our family was still driving back to OK and we were packing up to leave our hotel.
I was feeling a little overwhelmed for so many reasons.
Overwhelmed at the uncertainty of Jay's dads health.
Overwhelmed at watching Jay deal with his emotions.
Overwhelmed with what to tell the kids.
Overwhelmed with feeling so helpless, not being there to help.

I walked out of our hotel and was talking to my mom on the phone.
I was telling her how worried I was, and how I felt so sad for Jay and the rest of the family.
I hung up the phone and turned away from our car and something caught my eye in the tree.
I walked closer and felt a warm feeling come over me-
A heart.
A beautiful wooden heart.
I was instantly reminded of our Saviors love, and where to turn for peace and comfort.
How Christ heals our hurts and our sadness, not just our wrong doings.

I felt blessed to have this reminder.
Where to turn for peace-
Matthew 11:27-30

Over the last month as tests have been done, and more questions raised the outpouring of love and service to Jay's family has been huge.
They have been carried through- each moment that Carolyn (Jay's mom) feels she can't go on, there is someone there to lighten the load.

We came into town not certain of how Jay's dad would be. And while he seems to be doing ok- there is so much unknown.
We feel certainly blessed to have spent the time that we have.
Time has paused for a moment this weekend.
Love has been shared.
Time well spent.

So many have given of their time to help Carolyn still carry out her normal work, take care of John and still have an open house!
The dentist that she works for cleared his home and family out to change the open house from Jay's parents home to theirs! And then took care of letting everyone know that there had been a change.
Food was prepared and served by so many. (and not just for the open house, but while we were there visiting!)
Setting and cleaning up for the open house.
Even cleaning Carolyn's house to help her get ready for company!
Sleeping arrangements were made for all of us coming in from out of town, and homes were opened up to us.
Not only was every detail taken care of to make this a wonderful open house for Paul and Mary, but for our family to all come together.

While the future seems uncertain for John, as they still are trying to diagnose him we feel so much peace.
Peace given to us from the savior and carried out by the service of others.
This weekend was a blessing.

4 comments:

Kim Sue said...

thanks be to God and all his wonderful earthly helpers...happy you guys were all able to spend time together.

April said...

It is so wonderful that you got to spend such a relaxing weekend together. You are all in our prayers.

Michelle Alley said...

What a beautiful story Alisa. Do you know who put the heart in the tree? I'm so glad you got a photo of this - what a beautiful story to tell. I hope that everything comes to a resolution soon - waiting for answers, especially when it has to do with the well-being of family members, is a trial. Thanks for you beautiful story and I'm so glad you have so many people around you for support. Take care!

janelle said...

I love how things like this happen when we least expect it. I love you and am proud to have you as my older sister.