Wednesday, October 14, 2009

What to Eat Wednesday- Applesauce



I have to interrupt the breakfast in bed experiment to throw this little recipe in. Luke had thrown himself an apple party. He set up centers, made plans, but only one problem. It was kind of spur of the moment. And Jack was sick.

So we invited one friend and Luke had a apple party for 2.


All of the apple talk made me think of applesauce. I got up early the next morning before anyone was awake and made my mother-in-law's applesauce. Luke woke up while I was making it and helped out. Very fitting since he was the inspiration.


I enjoyed the applesauce so much that I plan on buying more apples this Friday morning from Tanakas and making more to can. (Jay wonders why I call it canning, when I am putting it in jars. Should I be calling it bottling, or jarring or just putting up fruit?)


Carolyn's applesauce

8 apples peeled and cored


After the apples are peeled and cored chop them up. Put the apples in a pot. Cover with enough water to come up to the top of the apples.


Add 1 cup sugar and bring to a boil. Stir and turn down heat to low and cook for 30-40 minutes. Once apples are soft, shut heat off and add 1 teaspoon lemon extract.


Sprinkle with a little nutmeg.

Then mash with a potato masher until desired consistency.


Serve warm or cold.
Jay remembers eating this warm with toast at his Grandma's house, and our kids have had it with their Grandma so that is what we do too.

No comments: