Sunday, April 25, 2010

Sunday Thoughts

One of our kids was on a school trip and heard some others talking about what they had been studying in history, "the Mormons." As they started to discuss what they thought we believe, this child of ours spoke up and said "I'm Mormon." Surprised, a few of the kids said things like, "Oh thats cool." &" We have never met one of you before."

A few days later one of the friends said to our child, "I thought that was odd the way you were talked about. I mean, what you believe is your choice, I am Christian, and I wish you were Christian, but that's your choice. To which our child surprised said, "But I am Christian. I believe in Christ."

I have played this out over and over in my mind. It has made me think. Do others know I believe in Christ? Do I live my life so that others know I believe in Christ? Is my reverence and lack of talking about things close to my heart leaving others doubting what I believe?

I was visiting with some Sisters from church and they asked me what was stirring me right now about the gospel. I immediately said my relationship with Jesus Christ.

I believe in the Savior Jesus Christ.
I know He lives. I know that He is the source of peace. I know that when I am left soul searching for peace He is the source, when there seems nothing left.

My personal relationship and understanding changes as I study and search and experience life. More and more I realize my need to seek relief through Christ. As I struggle, and hurt or worry, I try and do things on my own.

Today as I sat in church, I thought of the promises I made at baptism. I thought about what I am doing well at, and some things that I need to work on. It is my belief in Christ that helps me overcome those things that I am struggling with. The things I need to improve on.

He is who I need to rely on. He is who I need to turn to instead of trying to do things on my own.

The words to a favorite hymn come to mind:

Where Can I Turn For Peace?

Where can I turn for peace? Where is my solace
When other sources cease to make me whole?
When with a wounded heart, anger, or malice,
I draw myself apart, searching my soul?

Where. when my aching grows, Where, when I languish,
Where, in my need to know, where can I run?
Where is the quiet hand to calm my anguish?
Who? who can understand? He, only One.

He answers privately, Reaches my reaching
In my Gethsemane, Savior and Friend.
Gentle the peace he finds for my beseeching.
Constant he is and kind, Love without end.

3 comments:

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

Well said, Alisa. Well said. I like the quote (I'm loosely paraphrasing here): "Live so that those who don't know Christ will want to know Christ because they know you."

Kristie said...

When I hung out with "the Mormons" in Georgia ..... the one girl I knew best said that happened to her often .... people assume LDS is like Judiasm, or something. They understand it is a religion, they just don't understand it is simply one branch of Christian belief. Good to know they're discussing it in schools ... but also good to know families like your own can correct the misconceptions that others have.

Allison said...

Thanks, Alisa, for that post. Your sentiments echo some of my own, which might mean that my resolve should echo yours!