Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Breakfast in Bed #9 Ricotta Pancakes


Back in February I had extra Ricotta to use and I remembered seeing this recipe from my Breakfast in Bed cookbook. That book is going to be held together with rubber bands soon. It is getting covered with sticky notes and scribbles on the pages, smeared with food, and pages stuck together with syrup. It is a favorite for sure!



I was a little unsure about these. Pancakes with Ricotta? But it was a snow day- so I figured we had time to try it out. If they turned out horrible then we could make regular pancakes, or oatmeal or skip breakfast all-together and head full speed ahead to lunch! Because really on snow days- breakfast falls shortly before lunch anyway.

So a stack of pancakes I did make. Very light. We gave them and enthusiastic thumbs up!

But the most unusual and best part came after I made them. The recipe mentioned topping them with sour cream and jam, or whipped cream and fresh berries.

First Ricotta, now sour cream? I went ahead and got it out. I pulled out all of our toppings on the table and told everyone what was suggested. I thought I would give it a try. Jay was skeptical. It was not until everyone oohed and aahed that he gave it a go.


I wrote this in my book, "Jay says that this is a birthday breakfast. We tried berries and whipped cream, & the sour cream with jam. Both were good. The sour cream and jam were an unexpected compliment. It tasted like a sour cream danish. Jay said it opened up the possibilities of sour cream. Yum!"

So when you make them, try at least one with sour cream and jam. Just see if you don't go back for another.


Ricotta Pancakes
(makes 16 pancakes- but I think it needs to be doubled for sure!)

3 eggs, separated
1 cup ricotta cheese
2/3 cup milk
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
Sour cream and jam, or whipped cream and fresh berries (optional)

In a large bowl, beat egg yolks, cheese, milk, flour, baking powder, and salt. In a separate bowl, beat egg whites until stiff. Gently fold egg whites into cheese mixture.

Heat a griddle or skillet over medium heat and grease if necessary. Pour 1/4 cup batter for each pancake onto hot griddle. Cook pancakes until puffed and dry around edges. Flip and cook other side until pancakes are golden brown. Server with sour cream and jam or whipped cream and fresh berries, if desired.

1 comment:

Jim Smith said...

Those look so good. And that last photo is a winner!